Sunday 2 October 2011

The below post was drafted a few days ago when I was caught up in the terrible rain and thunderstorm on my commute home: 



Don't you hate those rainy/windy/thunderstormy days when your already much-limited luck with the Melbourne public transport runs out and you find yourself running at full speed towards the station after work ignoring the fact that your shoes have been soaked right through, only to find your service has been delayed by 30minutes.. It's beyond disbelief and a few loud rounds of F-words may not resolve your issues, so I sit here drafting the latest blog entry, trying to distract myself from the unpleasant sensation between my toes and flats.

So recently I had a blissful RDO on a Friday and decided to make the most of it by heading to a cafe for brunch and hopefully knock off the first few chapters of my newly arrived CFA curiculum. 

Usually by default I would head to my beloved Snowpony for a latte and lemonade scones but maybe because the weather was rather delightful and i was feeling cheery in my newly acquired rather "hip" floor-lenght floral skirt I decided to venture out to Moka Pot Cafe on Doncaster road. I have been in search for a new local brunch spot that i could frequent, Snowpony was still good but I thought surely it would not hurt if I could expand my repertoire a little. 

So with this in mind, i arrived at Moka Pot Cafe, conveniently located in a strip of shops complete with parking an all. Stepping into the large spacious venue i immediately realised that i have come to the wrong place to study. Dispite selecting a rather secluded corner table, the seats to my right were soon occupied by 3 oldies and then followed by 3mums to my left each with an infant in tow. Needless to say i instantly abandoned my plans to study and decided to instead focus my attention on the menu.


Most of the items were standard cafe food and nothing really jumped out at me. I know I have a tendency to be indecisive and end up making a choice just as the waiteress arrives to take my order. 

The juice menu was enticing enough for me to opt for it in lieu of my usual soy latte. It arrived promptly looking quite promising, however one sip of it made me question whether my taste buds were functioning. Picture a fruit juice with all fructose removed from it and all that was left was water with a tinge of fruit feel to it. Or picture poor quality, flavourless coconut water. Whichever is easier.


The muffin was well flavoured given the ample amount of bacon it was sandwiching, however over all the muffin was dry and the spinach failed to enhance the flavour of the otherwise very much your average breakfast muffin.


I dont know why i ended up ordering this as it is clearly not an item to base judgements of a cafe on but maybe i was not satisftied by my cravings for chips at tank the previous day I decided to pig out on a whole bowl of wedges. Why oh why...they were okay nothing wrong with dencent wedges but the quantity was too gianormous that resulted in having to awkwardly request takeaway for the wedges I could not finish.

By this stage the mothers (young and old) on each side of me were having conversations at a volume that made focusing on reading facebook status updates on my phone difficult so I decided to declare this foodie adventure over and prematurely retired to my house. 

On my way to the counter to pay for the bill i did catch a glimpse of the array of sweets and cakes they had on offer and i must say they looked quite delightful. Going forward i will be sticking to my Mcpony's and grapefruit juice that comes in a medicine bottle but I won't fully rule out moka pot and their yummy-looking desserts. Just going to steer clear of the muffin and fruit juice, oh yes I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment