Monday 18 November 2013

Doughnuts is the New Black








So in recent years, we have experienced the macaron craze, the cupcake craze and most recently the cronut/zonut/ donut+croissant hybrid craze. But maybe it's good timing to get back to basics and rediscover something old and familiar - doughnuts.

No, I am not talking by the sad dozen of discounted cinammon sugar ones sitting in the bakery isle of your local Coles, nor the artery-clogging, insulin-spiking variety on offer at Krispy Kreme. These aren't what you would call clean treats, but when one has desperate cravings for their guilty pleasures, one must maximise the satisfaction gained from every calorie consumed. I am talking about hand crafted, dipped-to-order creations by Doughboys Doughnuts.

I discovered the existence of these gems through an instagram post some months ago. A picture of a plump, golden doughnut, covered in luscious glaze and toppings. It was love, no LUST at first sight. I quickly followed the boys' instagram account, and many mornings of constant drooling on the train ensued. Given the distance between my office and Mr Nice Guy where the popup shop was located, it was difficult trying to squeeze in an early morning doughnut run.

My opportunity finally arrived when I took a day off work after the Melbourne Cup. My original brunch plans had just fell through and guess what popped up on the top of my instagram feed. I knew it was the last week of the pop-up and it was my cue to go get some doughnuts and coffee for breakfast (I mean, like, yolo right?)

I had such a difficult time deciding which flavours to get. In a perfect world I would have loved to tasted all 4 flavours on offer but good judgement made me stop at two. I chose salted caramel and lime coconut as they have made numerous appearances on my instagram account, it would be unjust if I had left without having a bite of each.

I decided to have a soy latte with the lime coconut. The lime zest in the glaze instantly made the doughnut refreshing and not overly sweet. The doughnut itself is was closer to the texture of bread than cake. The salted caramel on the other hand was simply pure decadence. I don't think one can ever go wrong with salted caramel flavoured goodies, period.

After the consumption of one and a half decent size doughnuts I must conclude these sweet treats are definitely a sometimes food. These bad boys will definitely satisfy even the most intense sugar cravings. Here's hoping the doughboys will be setting up shop again before my next craving hits.

Doughboys Doughnuts
(currently closed)
instagram

Doughboys Doughnuts on Urbanspoon



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete